|Pros of Staying Up on Current Events||Cons of Staying Up on Current Events|
|You aren't in the dark||It can be depressing|
|It gives you more power to change the world||News can be misleading|
|Allows you to be aware of bills you may want to oppose||It takes time|
|You can participate in fun debates||It can become an obsession |
|Helps you create more educated opinions ||It can skew your perspective on the world|
Growing up, I hated hearing the news. I was terrified! There seemed to be so much evil in the world, and I chose to live with my eyes shut. After living over a year in Portugal, my views changed. I began to listen to the news even though it was unpleasant. From my experiences of living informed verse uninformed, I write my article.
Pros of Staying Up on Current Events
- You are not in the dark. Knowledge is power.
- If you want to change the world, you need to be informed about the world. My heart aches when I read of wars, oppression, starvation, etc. However, if I close my eyes, I will never be able to help bring about change. So many good people start or donate to nonprofit organizations but lack the knowledge about the world to make a difference.
- You become aware of bills you may want to oppose. It is easier to stand against a bill than a law.
- You can participate in some fun debates. I love debates! The more informed I am, the more I love them!
- Allows you to create more educated opinions. So many people form opinions without any research. This leads to uneducated votes, invalid comments, and so many problems.
Cons of Staying Up on Current Events
- It can be depressing. Have I cried while reading the news? Yes! My heart has broken for Yemen, Ukraine, Myanmar, and on and on and on.
- News stories can be misleading. It doesn't matter whether you follow a conservative or liberal news outlet; many articles are misleading. Note: If you want to avoid this, read liberal and conservative news. You will walk away with a better perspective.
- It takes time to stay up to date. I am not going to lie; I have fallen behind on current events. There is so much going on in the world that it is impossible to stay up on everything.
- It can lead to paranoia. If the news makes you never want to leave your home, you may want to avoid staying up to date.
- It can become an obsession. News is constant and can become overdone.
- It can skew your perspective on how bad the world is. Disturbing news gains more publicity. This fact can create an increasingly negative perception of the world.
"Our goal is to help the world make decisions with a list of Pros and Cons. We invite all to add to our lists to help others make the most educated decision possible. We are all in this world together to help each other and learn from what others have learned from their lives journey." - Pros and Cons Team Written by: Kristen