|Pros of Buying in Bulk||Cons of Buying in Bulk|
|Great way to build emergency storage|| A lot of money upfront|
|No need to take as many trips to the store||Takes for storage space|
|Potentially you can save a lot of money||Food is more likely to go bad|
Most financial experts will encourage you to buy in bulk, but is it worth it?
Pros of Buying in Bulk
- These items help you build emergency storage. Let's be honest, how many of us wished we had purchased toilet paper in bulk before March of 2020? How many of us wished we had a better food supply when quarantined for weeks? Buying in bulk is a great way to prepare for potential shortages and emergencies.
- You won't need to take as many trips to the store. Buying in bulk allows you to have enough food on hand that you don't need to make those daily trips to the store.
- You will potentially save a lot of money. Buying in larger quantities is a weird concept. You will spend more now to save later. The chart below lists several items and how much you spend on bulk and non-bulk items. You can save hundreds of dollars each year! NOTE: Bulk can sometimes be more pricey(as you can see by the sour cream in the chart). Always look at the price/ units to get the best deal.
Cons of Buying in Bulk
- Buying in bulk is a lot more money upfront. The chart shows that you would pay $22.83 for nine items and $69.87 for those same items in bulk. That is $47.04 more!
- Bulk items take more storage space. I have had to become creative at finding room for my food storage. I have kept food storage under my bed, in my closet, in the laundry room, and the office area. It takes up so much space!!!!
- You are more likely to have food go bad. My husband loves pasta. At the first of our marriage, I would buy a large jar of pasta sauce to save money. After doing this three or four times, I realized that a lot of the sauce would go bad before we got to it. If you buy perishable items in bulk, you may end up wasting a lot of food. Bulk doesn't save money if you throw the excess away. Hint: To help food not go bad consider using a freezer.
"Our goal is to help the world make decisions with a list of Pros and Cons. We invite all to add to our lists to help others make the most educated decision possible. We are all in this world together to help each other and learn from what others have learned from their lives journey." - Pros and Cons Team
Written By: Kristen