|Pros of Using YouTube Video for a DIY Repair||Cons of Using a YouTube Vireo for a DIY Repairs|
|It CAN save money||It could be done wrong|
|Learn new skills||It can be dangerous |
|Can take pride in your work||Fixing takes up your time|
|Gives basic understanding of how things work||Important details may need be in the YouTube video |
|The project happens on your time table|
|No need to have a stranger come to your house ||Use tools you may never use again|
There have been multiple times where Kevin and I thought we could save some money and do something ourselves. Sometimes it turns out and sometimes it is a complete fail! What are the Pros and Cons of using YouTube to help with repairs?
Pros of Using YouTube Videos to DIY
- It can save money (as long as you don't mess up). The cost of a repairman can be expensive! So if you can do it yourself, it will save you!
- Learn new skills. Have you ever watched a YouTube video of how to do something, and it works out? You learned a new trade that you won't forget and will save you in the future.
- You can Take Pride in your work. When I worked as a night janitor, I learned how to fix the craziest things from electrical, toilets, and tile flooring. I was so proud of everything I was able to do to improve that school!
- Understand how things work. Do you know how a toilet, rain bird, or dishwasher works? Real knowledge is right at your fingertips. You need to be able to put it into practice.
- You can do it how/when you want. Have you ever watched a cartoons where a person is swimming in water because they can't get a plumber to fix their leak? If you do it yourself, you don't have to wait for a convenient time for a professional to show up. You are in charge!
- You don't have to worry about having a stranger in your house. My grandma told me a story of a man that came to fix her sink and tried to hurt her. You wouldn't have this problem if you can do it yourself.
Cons of Using YouTube videos to DIY
- You might do it wrong (embarrassing and more expensive to have someone fix your problem than it would have otherwise been). Yes, this has happened to us one too many times! It is the worst when you tell the electrician that you almost burnt the house down, and he laughs at you.
- It can be dangerous if you do it wrong. Some things really should be done by someone who's trained! For instance, our fireplace needs some major repair. It has the potential to let harmful gases into the home. I am not comfortable trying to fix it on my own.
- It takes up your time. Time is a limited commodity. Projects are a great time filler if you have excess time, but most people don't. It is nice to call someone to fix your problems.
- YouTubers can make mistakes or leave out important info. If you are a plumber with a YouTube channel, it is hard to remember that not everyone knows about plumbing. So small things can be left out, which will mess up your whole bathroom.
- Difficult to find a specific answer if it is not a common problem. Every house is built so differently with different elections, roofers, and HVAC companies. Not only that but with varying standards. What a headache! The time it takes to find a video that might be similar to your problem can take as much time as it would have been to call someone and have it fixed.
- You may have to invest in a lot of special tools that you probably won't use again. After factoring in time, replacements, and tools. Money spent might not be worth it.
"Our goal is to help the world make decisions with a list of Pros and Cons. We invite all to add to our lists to help others make the most educated decision possible. We are all in this world together to help each other and learn from what others have learned from their lives journey." - Pros and Cons Team
Written By: Sarah