|Pros of Living in the Country ||Cons of Living in the Country|
|There are tons of places to explore||You are away from doctors, stores, an restaurants |
|People in the country are generally more friendly||It may feel too quiet |
|It is quieter at night||You may not be offered city water, trash, or sewage.|
|Easier to get a house with a big back yard ||You may be in charge of snow removal |
|You can see the stars||Animals can get into places you don't want them |
|Open fields and space||Help is farther away, in the case of an emergency |
|Wildlife is everywhere||Nasty animal smells|
Growing up my, husband and I grew up in small farming towns. As we have recently moved from a city to the country. We have come up with a few pros and cons of moving back to farmlands.
Pros of Living in the Country
- There is a ton of places to explore. River beds, clusters of trees, open fields. You name it the country has it. I can't count the times when I have taken the kids into an open field and let them explore. Seeing them use their imagination is such a joy as they find animal prints or corn cobs.
- People in the country generally more friendly. Try waving to a farmer on a country road. 99% of the time, they wave and stop and ask you about your family even though they have no idea who you are. You wave to someone in the city, and they pull out their con-sealed weapon just in case your wave will kill their whole family. Haha, I am just kidding but kind of not. Can we just be nice to each other?
- It is quiet at night. Are you tired of loud music, neighbors, and emergency sirens? The country is the place for you!
- You can buy a house with a big yard. You have all of the space in the world. You can plant trees, dig a pool, plant more trees, have a porch swing, plant more trees, plant a garden, plant more trees, have a soccer field, and you still have room.
- No nosy neighbors. Are your neighbors nosy? Do they know when you come and go? Is your window 3ft from there window? Then you are not in the country.
- You can see the stars. One summer my cousins came to visit from a big city. When we went outside that night, they were mind blown that we could see stars at our house. I think that is sad! It is everyone's right to see stars overnight. #thecountryisthbomb
- It is usually open land for as far as you can see. If you have 20/20 vision, you still won't be able to see everything around you! Mind-blowing!
- Wildlife on your property daily. This could be added to the cons. I personally love seeing deer, turkeys, and pelicans every day. I think it just brings a lot of peace to my life.
Cons of Living in the Country
- You are away from food, stores, and doctors. This con really depends on how far away from a city you live. Will it take hours or 20 minutes? Is it worth the money to drive into town for your essentials?
- It might be too quiet. Some people really like the noise. It is a comfort to know that life is moving all around you. The country would probably not be the place for you.
- The country usually doesn't have city water, trash, or sewage. Do you like well water? Do you like septic tanks? How about taking trash bags to a big community dumpster 3 miles away? If you are not a fan, this is something to consider!
- If it snows where you live, plan on no snow removal. During the winter, our landlord would send his son down with a tractor to plow. So that we could get in and out of our driveway. Without him, we were stuck.
- Animals can find their way into places that you don't want them to be. I learned this the hard way as I went into the garage and found a skunk. AHHH! It stayed there all morning, and we weren't about to pick it up and move it ourselves! Haha
- If you have an emergency, there is not a lot of help around. This was one of my BIG concerns. We only had one vehicle, and my husband was working long hours. I knew that if some emergency happened, we would be in trouble.
- There are a lot of nasty animal smells. Pig farms, manure, chickens, ducks, cows, and on and on. If you hate them, you probably won't love the country either!
"Our goal is to help the world make decisions with a list of Pros and Cons. We invite all to add to our lists to help others make the most educated decision possible. We are all in this world together to help each other and learn from what others have learned from their lives journey." - Pros and Cons Team
Written By: Sarah