|Pros of Having Carpet||Cons of Having Carpet|
|It is nice to lay down on ||It is a pain to deep clean|
|It is a comfortable place to play games||Carpet doesn't last long|
|Much warmer to walk on||Stains are there to stay|
|Makes a home feel more like a home||Carpets are full of germs|
I lived a year and a half in Portugal as a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I was shocked to find that nearly all of the homes had no carpet. They would maybe have a rug, but that was it. This experience opened my eyes to the pros and cons of carpet.
Pros of Having Carpet
- It is great to lay down on the carpet. This morning I fell asleep on the carpeted floor next to my little girl. It was amazing! Although I had to sleep a few nights on a hardwood floor on my mission, I would not recommend it!
- It is a great place to play. The carpet is much more comfortable to play on. It is fantastic for children and long games of Monopoly. Can you imagine having a game night on a hardwood floor?
- It is much warmer to walk on. It is hard enough to get out of bed on a cold winter morning. It is even worse when you have to step onto the cold tile or wood floor.
- A well-kept carpet can make a home homier. Carpet can make a home feel snug.
Cons of Having Carpet
- It is a pain to deep clean. I love being able to deep clean things, and the carpet is never clean. Sure, you can shampoo it, but have you seen the nasty water that comes up from the carpet. IT IS MORE THAN DISGUSTING! If you have pets or kids, it is even grosser. Carpets are not the most cleanly things in a house.
- The carpet doesn't last as long. Hardwood floors can last decades, while carpets require replacement more frequently. I remember removing the carpet when I was a kid, and it was a mess.
- Stains are there to stay. I have seen carpet with nail polish, paint, bleach stains, burn marks; believe me, they don't come out! Wood flooring is a lot more forgiving.
- The carpet is full of germs. Let's be honest, how many times have you sneezed over the carpet? How many times has your dog or child had an accident on the carpet? How many times has someone's dirty feet or shoes walked on your carpet? How many times have you put off cleaning your carpets? Ok, enough said, carpets are germy.
"Our goal is to help the world make decisions with a list of Pros and Cons. We invite all to add to our lists to help others make the most educated decision possible. We are all in this world together to help each other and learn from what others have learned from their lives journey." - Pros and Cons Team
Written by: Kristen