|Pros of DIY Cleaning Your Carpets||Cons of Doing Your Carpets Yourselves|
|You can do it your own time frame||You need access to a carpet cleaner|
|The process is satisfying||You need to find the right solution|
|You can save money ||Carpets take longer to dry|
|Pros of Having Your Carpets Cleaned Professionally ||Cons of Having Your Carpets Cleaned Professionally|
|They have the right equipment ||You need to prepare your house for them to come|
|You don't have to spend the time cleaning ||You need to figure out it the cost will fit into your budget|
|They are responsible for your carpets||You have a stranger in your house|
We have lived in this apartment for a little less than two years, and our carpet was due for a cleaning. The last straw came when our baby vomited all over the floor. Was it better to clean the carpet myself or pay for a service? In the end, I did it myself and now see the pros and cons of both.
Pros of DIY Cleaning Your Carpet
- You can go over it several times. You can't assume that because a professional is doing it, it means they are doing a top-notch job. When working as a cleaner and a crew member of a landscaping team, I learned how not perfect professionals are. Your "professional" may be on a time crunch, new on the job, or could care less about the work they do. I went over my carpet dozens of times because it was so dirty. There is no guarantee the professionals will do the same( at least not without doubling your bill. )
- You can do it in your time frame. For me, Saturday was the best day for my carpet to be cleaned. However, Saturday isn't the best day to get a hired service to come by.
- The process is satisfying. It was satisfying as I emptied buckets of black water that my cleaner sucked up.
- You can save money!!!! The chart bellow shows how much carpet you have to clean in order to make a purchase/rent worth the money. This is based on my local costs of 60 cents / square foot to pay to have your carpets cleaned. This chart doesn't include solution which is a minimum of $15 (prices are based on my local Walmart) . NOTE: If you buy you will be using your machine for possibly years.
|What Product ? ||How much does it cost?||How much square footage of carpet needs to be cleaned before it is cheaper then paying for a carpet cleaning service? (base on 60 cents / square foot of carpet)|
|Renting Carpet Cleaner at Home Depot||$33/day||55 square feet of carpet|
|Hoover Power Scrub Deluxe Carpet Cleaner Machine, Upright, FH50150V||$133.99||222 square feet of carpet|
|Hoover Powerdash Pet Compact Carpet Cleaner with Antimicrobial Pet Brushes, FH50710||$89||149 square feet of carpet|
|Bissel ProHeat2X Lift-Off Pet Full Size Carpet Cleaner, 15651||$429.99||717 square feet of carpet|
|BISSELL Proheat 2X Revolution Pet Pro Full-Size Carpet Cleaner, 1964||$259||432 square feet of carpet|
* The machine I used was a Hoover Power Scrub Deluxe Carpet Cleaner Machine, Upright, FH50150V and it worked great!
Pros of Having Your Carpets Cleaned Professionally
- They have the right equipment. Once the carpet is wet, it needs to be dried as quickly as possible to avoid mildew. Do you have enough fans to dry your carpet? Are you fans powerful enough? Companies have multiple tools they can use to dry your carpets faster.
- You don't have to spend the time. Time is money! I spent over an hour just cleaning around 180 square feet of carpet.
- They are responsible for your carpets. I was a bit nervous as I cleaned them myself. What if I was putting down too much soap? What if the carpet cleaner failed to pick up the water? These are things you don't need to worry about when you pay someone else to do the work.
Cons of Doing Your Carpets by Yourself
- You need to rent, buy, or borrow a carpet cleaner. I was able to borrow a carpet cleaner from my family. Most people won't find themselves that lucky. When choosing to clean your carpets, you either have to rent, borrow, or buy a carpet cleaner.
- You need to figure out the right solution for your carpet. Just like there are different qualities of laundry soap, there are various qualities of carpet solution. Choose wisely!
- Your carpets will take longer to dry. Let me tell you, my one old fan takes a long time to dry carpets.
Cons of Having Your Carpets done Professionally
- You need to make sure your house is ready. You need to pick up the stuff off your carpets: dozens of toys, crayons, craft projects, laundry, etc.
- You got to figure out if the cost fits in your budget. Carpet cleaners in my area charge around 60 cents/ square foot. Before you call to schedule your cleaning, make sure that the company's price doesn't exceed your budget.
- You have a stranger in your house. I hate having someone I don't know in my house. When you pay to have your carpets done, you will have a stranger in your house.
"Our goal is to help the world make decisions with a list of Pros and Cons. We invite all to add to our lists to help others make the most educated decision possible. We are all in this world together to help each other and learn from what others have learned from their lives journey." - Pros and Cons Team
Written by: Kristen