|Pros of Spending Thanksgiving with Extended Family||Cons of Spending Thanksgiving with Extended Family|
|It is fun to catch up with everyone ||You don't have as many leftovers|
|It is tradition to gather together for Thanksgiving||You might not get along with your family |
|The more people that come for Thanksgiving the, more food you will have||Traveling can be a pain|
|Family traditions go past the food||There is a lot of clean up for the person hosting |
|It is the perfect time to take family photos ||There is nowhere comfortable to nap |
|It is a lot cheaper to do Thanksgiving as a group||It is hard to focus on the meaning of a holiday in a large group|
One year after Kevin and I had gotten married, we decided to stay home and do Thanksgiving with just us and our little girl. Like most people, we have grown up going to big family dinners on Thanksgiving day. Now that we have moved out of state and won't make it home for Thanksgiving, I have decided to write the Pros and Cons of having a big Thanksgiving with extended family.
Pros of Spending Thanksgiving with Extended Family
- It is fun to catch up with everyone. It is easier to stay in touch nowadays with our phones, social media, and video chats. Even with the internet convenience, nothing beats sitting next to a little brother that you haven't seen in 6 months to a year!
- Traditionally Thanksgiving is a Holiday to gather together. You aren't supposed to be alone! Part of the whole Thanksgiving spirit is to gather together and give thanks.
- The more people that come for Thanksgiving the, more food you will have. I love all of the food varieties! For the years I have missed Thanksgiving with my dad's side of the family, I have missed the hundreds of pies and different side dishes. YUM!
- Family traditions go past the food. Often on Thanksgiving Day families, gather to watch football and play board games. I love to think about our traditional Risk game as a family. Hours and hours of frustration and pie...
- It is the perfect time to take family photos. There are a few family photos we took when I was about 10 years old. Looking back at that picture now, it brings back so many memories. It is funny to look at how styles have changed, and everyone has grown up!
- It is a lot cheaper to do Thanksgiving as a group. You don't have to worry about a whole meal. Instead, you focus on what you are going to bring to share with the family.
Cons of Spending Thanksgiving with Extended Family
- You don't have as many leftovers. Some people would argue that the best part about Thanksgiving is the leftovers. With a family of 65 plus, you are most likely not going to have a whole lot of anything to take home.
- The kid's nap time is none existent. Do you have kids that still nap? Good luck! With my large extended family, there is barely enough room to sit down little lone have a place to put the baby down for nap time.
- You might not get along with everyone in your extended family. Is there someone that you try to avoid talking to? Are you tired of the same questions that everyone asks? The pain is real!
- Traveling can be a pain. Not only is there a lot of traffic, but there can be bad weather. I remember one Thanksgiving waking up to a foot of snow. With tons of accidents and snow on the roads, most families didn't make it for Thanksgiving that year.
- If you are hosting, there is a lot of cleaning prep. The past couple of years we, have been the hosts. I think I have cleaned the house for days before to prepare for the family to arrive. Talk about feeling like Cinderella. ;)
- Some family members never leave. The family members you want to hang out with tend to leave early, and the others stay FOREVER!
- You don't get to choose what is for dinner. The years we have had Thanksgiving alone have been a lot of fun as we are in charge of the whole menu. You don't even need a turkey!
- There is nowhere to nap! Forget about the baby. You don't have a place to sleep either. Are you going to be the first one to take a couch pillow and curl up on the floor?
- It is hard to focus on the meaning behind the Holliday in a large group. Often a quiet small group proves a better place to remember what you are grateful for.
"Our goal is to help the world make decisions with a list of Pros and Cons. We invite all to add to our lists to help others make the most educated decision possible. We are all in this world together to help each other and learn from what others have learned from their lives journey." - Pros and Cons Team
Written by: Sarah