|Pros of Writing in a Journal||Cons of Writing in a Journal|
|Fun to go back and read||It takes time|
|Great way to bring back memories||It can be tedious|
|Form of therapy||Can become hard to store|
|Helps one work through life changing events||Rereading can sometimes open old wounds|
|Your journal will be a treasure to your family||It can feel like there is nothing to record|
|Others can learn from your life||Writing may not be your thing|
Journal writing has never been easy for me. Although I have kept many journals, I have gone months at a time between entries. This year I made a goal to write in my Journal once a week. I am proud to announce that so far, I have accomplished my goal (and it's been over three weeks). I have decided that compiling a list of the pros and cons of journal writing would be beneficial.
Pros of Writing in a Journal
- It is usually enjoyable to go back and read. I love rereading journals, especially the journals I kept as a child!
- It is a great way to bring back memories. I have helped scan journals for a woman with Alzheimer's. It is fun to see her relive memories through her priceless journals. Her diaries are beyond value.
- Journal writing is a form of therapy for traumatic experiences. Many of us know someone or are someone who has gone through traumatic life events. Journal writing is a great way to express anguish that is hard to vocalize.
- A journal is an easy tool to work through a life-changing event. Have you ever felt overwhelmed by a situation? Try writing down your thoughts. You will be amazed at how much you can accomplish.
- Your records will be a treasure to your family. I came across a journal from my deceased grandma, and I savor every word. Don't underestimate what your entries will mean to those who mourn your passing.
- Others can learn from your life. None of us has got this whole living thing down. However, maybe you can help others not make the same mistakes you made.
Cons of Writing in a Journal
- It takes time. Life can be crazy! This can be just one more thing you need to squeeze into your schedule.
- It can be tedious. If you are like me, you may not enjoy journal writing. This activity can often feel more like a chore than an enjoyment.
- Journals can become a burden to store. Journals are just one more thing requiring a spot.
- Rereading journals can sometimes open old wounds. When you pour your soul out into a diary, it can be hard to reread. It becomes easier to relive events and feelings you thought were long gone.
- Sometimes it feels like there is nothing to record. "Well, yesterday I changed eight diapers, cleaned the house, picked up groceries, etc." You understand what I mean.
- Writing may not be your thing. If you loathe writing, you may drag your feet before journaling.
"Our goal is to help the world make decisions with a list of Pros and Cons. We invite all to add to our lists to help others make the most educated decision possible. We are all in this world together to help each other and learn from what others have learned from their lives journey." - Pros and Cons Team Written By: Kristen