|Pros of Being an Artist||Cons of Being Artist|
|You can create anything you want||You can have so many unfinished projects|
|Art is great for way to relieve stress||A lot to set up and take down|
|Others can enjoy your art||It is hard to be a perfectionist with art|
|Leads to feeling of accomplishments||You need space to store your art|
|Mistakes are great teaching moments||Art can be expensive|
I have always considered myself a terrible artist. My mom was quite the artist and could draw or paint anything she wanted. It blew my mind that someone could create anything they wanted to by looking at it. After years of stick figures, I met a lady that sat down with me and explained art to me. Since that time, I have been painting. After being on both sides of art, I wanted to write a pros and cons list of being an artist. Please feel free to add more thoughts as you read through my list.
Pros of Being an Artist
- You can create anything you want. It is fun to express yourself to others in ways other than words. Some illustrate themselves with modern art, others show their emotions through dance or acting, and others like to sit down and paint their thoughts.
- Art is an amazing stress reliever. Writing, drawing, and sculpting can take you out of your place of stress into a new world of accomplishment and understanding.
- Others can enjoy your art. Not only are you profiting from yourself but helping those around you to experience other views of the world.
- You can feel very accomplished. The finish signature or bow takes the cake. The growth you have made during the journey almost outweighs all of the other pros. I love stepping back and taking a deep breath. You have accomplished something that has never been done.
- Mistakes are just a part of the journey. My art teacher would always say, "You can always paint over what you don't like. Nothing is permanent." This goes for everything. Do you play the piano or dance? If so, you can discover new sounds or notes and moves as you make mistakes. Nothing is permanent. It might take time to get over a mistake, but it is 100% doable.
Cons of Being an Artist
- You might have five art projects you are working on at once. Do you ever get overwhelmed or burnt out? This can happen as you move from project to project.
- Some art projects have a lot of setups and take done. As a mom who loves to paint, I can not leave my paint out on the table! I know that my two-year-old would be into it within seconds. This can be frustrating because if I only have 30 minutes to paint and it takes 10 minutes to set and then take down, you don't have much time.
- It is hard to be a perfectionist as an artist. If you are looking for a hobby that will not drive you crazy as a perfectionist. Art is probably not for you. There are way too many mistakes to be made!
- You may not have room for your art. Do you have a dance studio in your home? Do you have a million walls to hang your art on? It is always frustrating to realize I don't have enough walls to paint murals on in my home. Unless I wanted to, make it look like Rapunzel's hideout.
- Art can be expensive. Like all hobbies, art costs money that most of us don't have. The question is, is it worth it to you?
"Our goal is to help the world make decisions with a list of Pros and Cons. We invite all to add to our lists to help others make the most educated decision possible. We are all in this world together to help each other and learn from what others have learned from their lives journey." - Pros and Cons Team
Written by: Sarah