|Pros of Vitamins||Cons of Vitamins|
|Help supplement needs||They are expensive|
|Improves health||Vitamins in Pill Form aren't always able to Metabolize|
|You can choose what you take to meet your needs||There isn't a lot of evidence that vitamins are effective|
|There are so many supplements to choose from||Supplements can do more harm if over-taken|
|Vitamins can help you reach your goals||In general some studies show vitamins can sometimes do more harm then good|
I have a disease called Crohn's disease. When I was first diagnosed, I had to take tons of vitamins and minerals. They were supposed to help me become more nutritionally balanced.
While visiting with a few friends in the past couple of months. The conversation has come up that vitamins almost do nothing for you. In thinking it over, here are a few of the pros and cons of taking supplements.
Pros of Vitamins
- Can help supplement needs. I know for myself I often feel tired and drag through my day. This is due to a lack of iron in my body. If I take an iron pill, my energy levels increase dramatically.
- Improved health. Growing up my, mom would swear on Vitamin C when we got sick at all. Most vitamins claim to fame is improve your health in the most natural way possible. (Besides eating an orange or something)
- You can choose what you take. This is a big pro to vitamins! A lot of my friends are into holistic health. They Love that they are in charge of what supplements they take. They are in control.
- So many supplements to choose from. Have you gone to the grocery store and seen the shelves lined with how many supplements there are? Cranberry, Cinnamon, fish oil, Vitamin A, Vitamin B12, Ginger, Turmeric, and on and on.
- Vitamins can help you reach your goals of becoming who you want to become. I have heard it said, "You can reach your health goals as you take your vitamins and supplements."
Cons of Vitamins
- Expensive. I never look forward to buying my vitamins! The cost of my grocery trip will double 90% of the time. It blows my mind how much a basic none gummy pre-natal vitamin costs.
- Our body doesn't metabolize all vitamins in pill form. Most of the pills you take will not end up helping you. It is so much better to get your vitamins from the things you eat.
- There is not very much evidence for supplements being effective. As a matter of fact, more studies show more vitamins being harmful than helpful. (see below: Dietary supplements: Do they Help or Hurt?, Harvard Health)
- If they are over-taken, supplements can do more harm. Kevin has come home from work a few times and has told me of cases where someone will have over-taken a vitamin and has terrible problems because of it. Be careful! Make sure you know what you are doing before doing it.
- Some studies show that vitamins can sometimes do more harm than good, with few exceptions. (See below: Is There Really Any Benefit to Multivitamins, John Hopkins Medicine) This is an interesting article and one that is well worth your time.
"Our goal is to help the world make decisions with a list of Pros and Cons. We invite all to add to our lists to help others make the most educated decision possible. We are all in this world together to help each other and learn from what others have learned from their lives journey." - Pros and Cons Team
Written By: Sarah
Other things to look at and sources:
Is There Really Any Benefit to Multivitamins, John Hopkins Medicine: https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/wellness-and-prevention/is-there-really-any-benefit-to-multivitamins
Dietary supplements:Do they Help or Hurt?, Harvard Health https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/dietary-supplements-do-they-help-or-hurt