|Pros of Running a Marathon Without Headphones||Cons of Running a Marathon Without Headphones |
|You get to meet new people||If separated from your group you will be left to your own thoughts|
|My marathon became more memorable||It can be terrifying |
|No need to bring your phone||There are fewer distractions to take away from the pain|
|Your Marathon will become more memorable||If you are trying to place, running without headphones would be a lot harder|
A good friend of mine encouraged me to try and run at least a part of a marathon without headphones. Instead of headphones, I would chat with other runners. I was terrified! I decided to give it a try two minutes before the race started. I asked my husband to see if I wanted them later in the marathon and took off. I turned him down when he offered them to me at 18 miles. I compile my list for others, wondering what is right for them.
Pros of Running a Marathon Without Headphones
- You get to meet new people. I met so many incredible people. We were all doing a hard thing, and people tend to bond quickly in such a situation. A few weeks after the race, I ran into one of these runners and it was like we were long-time friends.
- While you are with a group, the miles go by so quickly. The miles flew by as I heard about people's careers, families, other marathons, and so forth. I felt sad for those around us who had their headphones in; they were missing out.
- My marathon became more memorable. I love the country roads we traveled, and I noticed the sunrise was a little clearer. Headphones seem to dull the senses and take away some of the joy.
- You aren't left alone with your thoughts when you have others to keep you company. It is easy to zone out from what I am listening to and focus on my pain. People, however, are harder to zone out.
- There is no need to bring your phone. I didn't bring anything with me! I don't know about you, but the less I have to pack the better.
- There is no need to worry about headphones. What if my headphones fall out? What if I forget to charge them? What if I forget to bring them? What if they run out of battery at mile twenty? These were things I didn't need to worry about.
Cons of Running a Marathon Without Headphones
- If separated from your group, you will be left to your thoughts. Around mile eighteen, my group fell apart, and I was alone. I realized my exhaustion crept in, and negative thoughts followed.
- It can be terrifying. I honestly felt I was parting with a trusted friend to do the hardest physical thing I had ever done (excluding giving birth.)
- There are fewer distractions to take away the pain. I have yet to hear of a marathon runner that didn't feel pain. I hit a wall, and I would be lying to say that I wanted headphones to distract me a little.
- If you are trying to place in your marathon, running without headphones would be harder. The faster you are the less runners you will have around you. Also the runner around you are in it to win, and not just in it to finish alive.
"Our goal is to help the world make decisions with a list of Pros and Cons. We invite all to add to our lists to help others make the most educated decision possible. We are all in this world together to help each other and learn from what others have learned from their lives journey." - Pros and Cons Team Written by: Kristen