|Pros of Making Your Own Yogurt||Cons of Making Your Own Yogurt|
|You get to decide how much sugar to add||It isn't as efficient |
|It is surprisingly easy ||It may not turn out as planned|
|You will ill so accomplished||It may not taste as good|
|It is cheaper||It may be more expensive when you add toppings and flavorings |
|You can choose how to flavor your yogurt||You will have a bigger mess|
This week I decided to make yogurt! I purchased a container of plain yogurt and got to work! I hope you find my list of pros and cons helpful.
Pros of Making Your Own Yogurt
- You get to decide how much sugar to add. Have you ever seen how much sugar is in most yogurt? It is a dessert! It isn't healthy, and that is the sad truth. Making homemade yogurt allows one to choose how healthy or unhealthy they want their breakfast or snack to be.
- It is surprisingly easy. You need milk and some plain yogurt.
- You will fill so accomplished. I LOVE trying new things. Making yogurt was a fun experience.
- You can choose how to flavor your yogurt. Have you ever had peanut butter and chocolate yogurt? I may have a weird taste, but I love it!
- It doesn't take much work on your part. Yes, it takes hours to make, but you will hardly do any work.
- It is cheaper. Is it really worth it! Yes! On a financial stand point, yes. The chart below shows the cost of two recipes. The first recipe is the one my sister uses in her yogurt maker. The second is the one I used, without a yogurt maker.
How much do you save by making your own yogurt?
|Cost to Make the Yogurt Recipe||Cost to Make 4 Cups||Price of 4 Cups of Mountain High Plain Yogurt at My Local Walmart||How much you will save on 4 cups of Homemade Yogurt|
(5 cups of milk and 3/4 cup plain yogurt)
Cons of Making Your Own Yogurt
- It isn't as efficient. Do you want yogurt, right now for breakfast? Okay, it will be ready in four to twelve hours.
- It may not turn out as planned. Homemade yogurt is a lot runnier. Also, try not to scald the milk!
- It may not taste as good. Yogurt purchased at a store is perfection. It is like a dessert. Creating your yogurt flavoring will become a process of balancing health and taste.
- Your yogurt may end up being more expensive. Do you want to add a cup of fresh berries? Maybe some chopped almonds? How about some chocolate chips? You may save more by just buying preflavored yogurt.
- You will have a bigger mess. It is a lot less to clean up if you buy it.
"Our goal is to help the world make decisions with a list of Pros and Cons. We invite all to add to our lists to help others make the most educated decision possible. We are all in this world together to help each other and learn from what others have learned from their lives journey." - Pros and Cons Team
Written by: Kristen