|Pros of Having a Cat||Cons of Having a Cat|
|Kids love animals||Smell|
|Cats take care of mice||Cost money|
|Great companions ||Hair gets everywhere|
|Independent||Often like to be left a lone|
|Creates memories||Hard to leave cats at home alone|
|So many cats need a home||Kids can easily be rough with them|
Our little boy LOVES animals! He is only two, but I think he lives to make animals his friends. After visiting a corn maze and coming across a cute kitten. We were surprised when we asked the kids what their favorite part of the evening was. It wasn't the bounce house, tractor ride, or games. It was sitting and petting the cute orange fur ball.
Weeks later, we are still talking about whether or not we should add a little kitty to our family. Here are the main pros and cons we have come up with in our family discussions.
Pros of Having a Cat
- Kids love animals! For those that are animal lovers and get defensive, I am not saying animals are toys! I am saying that! Kids tend to have more time and love to give than adults do. My childhood cat loved all of the attention we gave him as kids, and I think all kids can do the same as they are taught how to be soft.
- Cats take care of mice. Living in the country mice, were a problem for us, so cats were a must! Now that we live in the city, this isn't something we have to worry about but something to consider!
- Are you in need of having a loyal companion? Cats can be lifelong friends that you can talk to, and you can keep each other company.
- They take care of themselves for the most part. Do you hate cleaning up poop, messy pets? Cats are typically clean animals. If you have them inside, you might have to worry about the litterbox. If you have an outside cat, they are good at burying their poop. No poop scooping for you!
- Animals are a great way to teach your kids responsibility. Keep in mind, you have to be on top of the care of your family pet, but you can teach your kids some valuable lessons on responsibility.
- There are so many cats in need of a home! Growing up, cats were annoying to a lot of people in our small town. There were so many strays that were nuisances. I always felt bad when we would find kittens in need of a loving home. It is sad when they are killed because they don't have a home!
- Good memories can not be replaced! Hundreds of Thousands of people would agree with me when I say childhood pets bring back so many meaningful memories. I love thinking about the times I would sit and talk to my cats or try and comb their fur. I loved walking outside and having our cat run up to me, begging to be scratched.
Cons of Having a Cat
- They do cost money! You usually can get a cat for free, but you have to take them to the Vet for shots, cat food, toys, and litter box supplies. For us, as penny-pinching college students with a family, the cost is a little overwhelming!
- Boy, do they leave a smell. Any cat lover out there might fight this, but it is 100% the truth. Cats make your home smell terrible no matter what you do to prevent it.
- Cat hair gets everywhere. We watched a neighbors cat while they were out of town. We didn't bring the cats home just went and played with them. Even with the two days of playing with them, we are still finding cat hairs a week later in our home...
- Cats sometimes like to be left to themselves! Most cats don't have a problem letting you know that you are getting on their nerves. My parents have a cat right now that if you pet for one second more than it wants, it will bite you. They are not afraid of scratching or biting!
- Kids can be rough with animals. It takes a lot of practice to teach each child how to treat all animals with respect.
- It is hard to leave cats at home. If you work long hours or are traveling a lot, it isn't very realistic to provide a home for a cat!
"Our goal is to help the world make decisions with a list of Pros and Cons. We invite all to add to our lists to help others make the most educated decision possible. We are all in this world together to help each other and learn from what others have learned from their lives journey." - Pros and Cons Team.
Written By: Sarah