|Pros of Choosing Your Baby's Name After Your Baby is Born||Cons of Choosing Your Baby's Name After Your Baby is Born|
|You get to see the baby before naming the baby||Hospital staff may put a lot of pressure on you to have a name picked|
|You don't feel locked into a name||It can be hard to make a decision after giving birth|
|It is something to do at the hospital||It can be stressful|
|Friends and relatives don't have time to tell you they dislike the name you have chosen||You avoid getting name "suggestions"|
I love feeling prepared, but when it came to choosing a baby's name, that was not an option. My husband and I had a list of five names before going to the hospital and added one more to the list after our little girl was born. We didn't name our daughter until the day proceeding her birth. From this experience, I compile my list of pros and cons.
Pros of Choosing Your Baby's Name After Your Baby is Born
- You get to see the baby before naming the baby. I loved seeing our baby and then narrowing down our list. Some names don't seem to fit some kids.
- It is nice not to feel locked into a name. I hate feeling like I can't change my mind.
- It is something fun to decide when you feel trapped in a hospital. I felt like a caged bird in the hospital. I was restless, bored, and wanted out. Picking a name was something that made the hospital a little more bearable.
- Relatives and friends don't have time to tell you they dislike the name you have chosen. This situation happens all the time. I provide examples below:
- "Oh don't name them that, is my X's name!"
- "I had a classmate who was named , they were awful! Ever since I have hated that name."
- "That is a girl's name, not a boy's name."
Cons of Choosing Your Baby's Name After Your Baby is Born
- The hospital staff put a lot of pressure on having a name picked. I HATED THIS!!!!!! Every hospital is different, but mine was relentless. "Have you chosen a name? You know you need to choose a name before you leave." We had a similar conversation so many times!
- Mom may not feel ready to make this type of decision after giving birth. Birthing a baby is different for everyone. Some birthing experiences are worse than others. Do you want to make this kind of decision at this time?
- It can be stressful. You feel like you are on a time crunch, and emotions can be high.
- You may get a lot of baby name suggestions. I was okay with name suggestions, as long as I didn't feel pressured to use them. Sadly, some people will pressure you to consider a name. This situation is avoided by having a name picked out.
"Our goal is to help the world make decisions with a list of Pros and Cons. We invite all to add to our lists to help others make the most educated decision possible. We are all in this world together to help each other and learn from what others have learned from their lives journey." - Pros and Cons Team
Written By: Kristen