|Pros of Earning a Political Science Degree
|Cons of Earning a Political Science Degree
|You learn how much you don't know about the government.
|A career end goal is vital.
|It will help you understand your rights.
|Many jobs in politics are in cities.
|Great steppingstone for some future careers.
|You will be stereotyped.
|You understand the importance of understanding government.
|You probably need more than a bachelor's degree.
I loathed political science in high school; my teacher mainly scrolled through endless PowerPoint. It was a nightmare! However, life happened, and I found myself studying politics and loving it! I hope you find my list helpful as you decide whether a degree in this field is right for you.
Pros of Earning a Political Science Degree
- You learn how much you don't know about the government. Yes, some think they know everything because they are in politics. However, this is crazy. There is so much to learn!
- It will help you understand your rights. I often feel that the government doesn't want secondary education to teach political science because they don't want civilians to know when their rights are violated.
- It is a step to becoming a lawyer, judge, lobbyist, and politician. A bachelor's in political science is a great steppingstone.
- You will realize how important it is for others to understand government. Too many Americans don't care about politics, especially on the local and state levels. This leads to uneducated voters who often elect candidates without any research.
Cons of Earning a Political Science Degree
- A career end goal is vital. If you don't have an end goal, you won't go far.
- Many political science jobs are in cities. I am not a city girl! Well, sorry to say most political science jobs take place near capitols.
- You probably need more than a bachelor's degree. This seems to be the norm for those who get careers within this field.
- You will be stereotyped. Politics brings out extremes; my classes had many extreme liberals and conservatives. When you tell people you are majoring in political science, you are branded with a crazy stereotype. Welcome to politics!
- Some professors love teaching their opinions as facts. I hated this, especially when you get tested on their ideology.
"Our goal is to help the world make decisions with a list of Pros and Cons. We invite all to add to our lists to help others make the most educated decision possible. We are all in this world together to help each other and learn from what others have learned from their lives journey." - Pros and Cons Team